Friday, April 5, 2013

UNIVERSITY COLLOQUIUM REFELCTION

The Alternative Mural in Downtown Ft. Myers

I can say that without a doubt the University Colloquium class does not have the best reputation around the Florida Gulf Coast University campus. I can also say that without a doubt University Colloquium is misrepresented.
This class has been a great experience and I am sad that it is coming to an end. This was a class I looked forward to going to. Actually, it is my favorite class of the semester and I’m sad it was only one day a week! Professor Borden taught me the importance of going outdoors, as well as, environmental education, awareness, and protection. University Colloquium and Professor Borden also taught me about Ft. Myers, Naples, Estero Island, and ECHO on our field trips.
My favorite field trip was the Downtown Ft. Myers field trip (free pizza!!) followed by the field trip to Estero Island where we got to see a baby dolphin J.  I enjoyed ECHO farms because they taught us about the struggles that people living in other countries are going through. Also, I liked learning about all the different contraptions that they make it easier for people in third world countries to live. Not to mention, all the plants and vegetation that they grow there were pretty cool as well. Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary was a neat place to visit because of all the animals we go to encounter, from alligators to red shouldered hawks.
I also discovered a great book through this class, A Land Remembered. The stories of Tobias, Zechariah, and Solomon are stories I will always carry with me because they are so fascinating, enlightening, and eye-opening. That little book taught me how important it is to value the land and not take it or the little things for granted.
All in all, I would not trade my University Colloquium experience for anything. This class was a breath of fresh air and I truly enjoyed every second of it. (Okay, that 85-degree trail walk was something I could live without!)
Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary

Word Count: 335

No comments:

Post a Comment